mercredi 16 septembre 2020

Last regrets

I don't have that much regrets related to investment lately. My biggest regret would probably be to have not been enough aggressive in march, at the time of the big drop. I should have opened a margin account sooner, which would have helped me taking advantage of the drop. But, all in all, I did OK, and probably better than many people (let's remind that many people get anxious when a major drop happens, which may lead them to stupid actions). 

However, yesterday, on a complete other register, I made a mistake which will probably remain of the most ridiculous things that happened to me in my life. Due to COVID, the teacher's meeting of one of my kids was on Internet. I logged to the Google platform used for the meeting and I saw the teacher and all the parents of kids of the class. After maybe 5 minutes, I realized that the name associated with my camera was "Master Penetrator".

Do you fucking imagine??? Parents of 11-12 years old kids seeing a parent with such a name? I probably looked like a fucking pedophile or some lunatic or whatever the shit. I usually don't care that much about what people think of me, but this time, I really look like an asshole: "un osti de trou de cul" would I say in french. 

So, after these 5 minutes that killed my reputation forever, I closed the camera, logged out on my Google account (Master Penetrator) and logged in with my kid's account. Probably that the damage's done, but what can I do? I am currently waiting for the police to knock on my door.  

******************

One of the slight regrets of the recent past as an investor is to have sold Sherwin Williams (SHW) during the pandemic. I said to myself that this stock had a beta coefficient a little too high for a crisis and that paint was the kind of expense that people would trim after losing their job, getting depressed and killing themselves. 

I was wrong. That pandemic didn't destroy entirely the economy. Of course, bars and restaurants are often desert (in Calgary, Banff, Jasper, Vancouver and Quebec City, I've seen how bad things are looking), but people stay at home and invest on their home or their hobbies. I don't know if people bought more paint over the last 6 months, but the thing is that a great company remains a great company in most situations. I sold my shares on march 19th, the same day I bought many stocks that did as well as Sherwin Williams since then. So, is it really a regret when I've simply reajusted my portfolio? I don't know. But it's a great stock and a no-brainer, which is not the case of all the stocks I own. 

I think that Sherwin Williams is one of the best stocks. If we experience a second big drop, that name should be on a watch list. 

4 commentaires:

  1. Yikes...hope you don't into trouble over your faux pas on Google...maybe no one noticed...It is possible I suppose...

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Hahahaha...thanks for the laugh. I never got the impression that you even had a kid.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. If you encounter any issues, tell them you are a penetration tester for cyber security and if they dont take their minds out of the gutter you will issue a claim for defamation.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. jajajajajaajajaj yeah dude, thanks for the laugh jaja just found your blog. very nice one.

    RépondreSupprimer