lundi 10 avril 2023

CSU: a 28 baggers

It was march 2012. 

I bought 50 Constellation Software shares at about 88$ each (a little less than 4500$). Everything looked great for that company: excellent ROE, excellent growth, great dividend (more than 4% back then) and my hero, Jason Donville, was very enthusiastic about the stock.  

In december 2013, I owned 65 shares and the stock was selling for about 225$. It was already a 2.5 baggers after about a year and a half. 

During the following years, I sold some shares. Bought some. And CSU always was a significant position in my portfolio. 

Now, in april 2023, a little more than 11 years after my first buy, the stock is selling for 2584$. That's about 2500$ more than what I initially paid. And that's completely crazy. 

That's my only extraordinary investment. I've made some good ones, some very bad ones. But CSU stayed on my portfolio all this time and I can't see why I should sell it even if returns may not be as good in the future. It will take something very negative about the company for me to sell my shares after such a ride. 

Now, imagine if I had invested 10 000$ instead of 4500$ (which was a very low amount in hindsight). I'd now own more than 100 CSU shares. 

But no. I sold some to buy something else. Like Valeant or Concordia Healthcare. Because, in december 2015, I owned only 30 CSU shares. And Valeant represented 9.5% of my total portfolio. 

YEP. AND I DIDN'T LACK OXYGEN AT BIRTH. 

3 commentaires:

  1. "I can't see why I should sell it even if returns may not be as good in the future"

    How much better are the returns going to be compared to an index is the question you have to ask yourself. If you believe it's only going to be a few percent a year, is it worth the risk?

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Where is Waldo? I mean where is the Penetrator? Missing in action?

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. In feel your pain....I did the same back in those days. Still takes the gains we made!

    RépondreSupprimer